Attraction can reveal itself in many ways. For one, you can be attracted in a purely platonic way and simply enjoy the company of another person with no ulterior motives.
Conversely, if you feel your body heat rising and your breath quickening at the sight of a certain someone, and notice that person’s palpable interest too, that mutual attraction treads along the lines of sexual tension.
Believe it or not, sexual tension is a fairly common occurrence—and experiencing sexual tension can be a very personal experience.
In one case, you and another party can both feel it and choose to not act upon it. If the other person shows signs of interest, you can also go the opposite route and act on that feeling of sexual tension by engaging in sexual activity.
It’s important to note that sexual tension isn’t sex just yet. It’s just a strong sexual desire to want to engage in sex.
Let’s learn more about this phenomenon and ways you can tell that you and another person have strong sexual tension.
Why Do We Get Sexually Tense?
If you’ve ever wondered why you feel sexually attracted to certain people, it’s largely a biological reaction.
It’s in our nature as a human species to survive and thrive—and in order to accomplish our species’ continuity, we need to procreate. In other words, it’s deeply programmed in our biological makeup to seek out sexual partners and have sex.
Of course, not everybody is ready and on-call for a sexual encounter at any given time. There’s also compatibility to consider; and sexual tension is a highly interpersonal feeling that’s driven by a combination of hormonal, physiological, and psychological factors.
Whether it’s a person walking in the street, a classmate, a colleague, or your other half, sexual attraction first starts when you first notice someone sexually attractive. Your brain ramps up the production of mood-boosting hormones like dopamine, oxytocin, adrenaline and norepinephrine.
The constant release of this stream of hormones makes you feel a heightened state of arousal. And if the other person feels the same sexual energy, it can be said that you’re both feeling palpable sexual tension.
Consequently, this creates a domino effect by firing up physiological responses in your body. Your heart rate will increase, your skin will become flushed, and your pupils will dilate.
You’ll also develop a feeling of wanting to be close to the person of attraction.
When you act on these desires, you can resolve the sexual tension and ultimately satisfy the biological and normal instinct to reproduce.
Telltale Signs of Sexual Tension
Sexual tension can be electrifying, but misattributing the actions of a potential partner as sexual when it’s not could be awkward for everyone.
Instead of floundering in your sexual advances, do try to understand the signs of sexual tension. This can help you navigate relationships better and lead to more satisfying outcomes.
Here are some signs you’re facing sexual tension, divided into multiple parts.
How You See Them
- Flirty Eye Contact: You find yourselves locking your eyes for extended periods, creating a captivating and charged connection.
- Physical Awareness: You become highly aware of their presence in the room, constantly seeking glimpses or feeling a rise in body temperature.
- Body Language: Your bodies gravitate towards each other, leaning in, mirroring gestures, and doing some subtle touching.
How You Talk With Them
- Flirting: The conversation takes on a flirtatious tone, with playful teasing, double entendres, and a mutual desire to keep the banter going.
- Subtle Touches: There’s a subtle, intentional physical contact like brushing against each other’s arms, hands lingering a bit longer, or playful nudges.
- Intimate Topics: The conversation steers towards more personal and intimate subjects, sharing secrets, dreams, and desires.
How You Think About Them
- Intrusive Thoughts: They occupy your mind more frequently, appearing in your thoughts and daydreams even when they’re not around.
- Imagining Scenarios: You fantasize about potential romantic or sexual encounters with them, envisioning intimate moments and passionate connections.
- Heightened Sensitivity: You become acutely attuned to their words, actions, and emotions, finding yourself highly affected by even the slightest interactions.
How Your Body Feels Around Them:
- Racing Heartbeat: When you’re near them or even just thinking about them, your heart races and you may feel a fluttering sensation in your chest.
- Butterflies in the Stomach: You experience a sensation of butterflies in your stomach when they’re around them; even the slightest touch gives off a giddy feeling.
- Flushed Skin: Your skin might become warm and flushed, especially when they give you compliments or touch you in a gentle manner.
- Sweaty Palms: You might notice your palms (and your entire body) sweating more than usual.
- Deep Breathing: You may subconsciously slow your breathing when they’re around.
Remember, sexual tension can vary from person to person, and it’s important to communicate openly and respectfully with the other party to ensure mutual understanding and consent.
What’s Next After Establishing Sexual Tension?
If you and a particular person both feel sexual tension and want to move to the next step, here are some follow-up steps to consider after you’ve established sexual chemistry.
- Communicate Your Intentions: Open and honest communication becomes crucial at this stage. Do you want to deepen the relationship? Or are you only down to experiment and keep it strictly casual? Talk about it and define the relationship so that no one gets the wrong idea.
- Build an Emotional Connection: Beyond the sexual vibe, it’s also vital to emotionally bond if you desire to bond and be with them for the long term.
- Address Rejection: In some cases, one person may not reciprocate the sexual tension and would rather have personal space. Handle these rejections and the negative feelings associated with it with grace.
- Move On or Move Forward: If the person you’re sexually attracted to reciprocates sexual desire, great—continue to foster that relationship. If the person you’re feeling sexually attracted to isn’t available, that’s totally normal. Handle your emotions, move on, and find someone else.
Get Sexual Health Treatment to Increase Libido at Tampa, Florida’s Top Men’s Clinic
Sexual tension occurs between individuals who feel sexual desire for one another. Whether you both act upon it or not, that’s a different story.
Some people may have sexual dysfunctions that prevent them from fully relieving their sexual desires. If you’re one of these people, know you can get help.
The medical professionals at Prestige Men’s Medical Center are committed to helping men with sexual issues to reclaim the sex life they deserve. We offer ED, PE, hormone, and testosterone treatment for any individual in need.
Want to restore your sex life? Book a consultation with us for free today.